Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Southern Baptist Convention in New Orleans

I was not super excited about our trip to New Orleans.

Chad would be at the Southern Baptist Convention.

I would be with the kids in a strange city.

Have I mentioned I'm directionally challenged?

But we decided to go with Chad and make the best of it.

What I wasn't expecting?  I had a GREAT time! 

After getting settled in our hotel room we hit set out to ride a street car and headed towards St. Charles.




Parker's favorite thing to do was pull the cord to let the driver know we wanted off.

While on the street car we saw a place to eat and ended up at New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood Co.  It was really good!  I was SO proud of my Hayden.  He is adventurous with food. At every restaurant we went he ordered seafood...he had etoufee, gumbo and crawfish dishes.  No chicken nuggets for this kid!

This was Father's Day and I thought the boys looked so handsome so had to get a few pictures before church.

Funny faces...
 
Two boys and their Dad. 

On Father's Day we went to church at Franklin Avenue Baptist.  Where Rev. Fred Luter preaches.  Two days after that church service he would make history becoming the first African American President of the Southern Baptist Convention.

We met up with the Tweens from Airline Baptist who were in New Orleans on a mission trip for church.  It felt good to see familiar faces!

After church we went to eat with the Tweens at Deanie's in Metaire.

Sunday Night started the Pastor's Conference and the Convention followed.  Chad was so sweet to spend as much time with us as possible.  We were fortunate to be within walking distance of the convention center so he could come and go easily.

On Monday morning, the kids and I walked to the Louisiana Children's Museum.  It was a neat museum and reminded me of Sci-Port in an older building.  It had some really fun things for the kids to do.



For lunch, Chad met back up with us and we went to the French Quarter for lunch, shopping and beneigts.

Lunch at Montrels

Beneigts at Cafe Du Monde.

It was SO windy that day and we had powdered sugar all over us!

While we were in New Orleans...we had to get a picture with the Dumaine sign :)

On Tuesday we went to the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas...


 ...and Imax.

On Wednesday before leaving town we stopped by the Audubon Zoo...

Hayden had done some research on John James Audubon in 3rd grade so we had to take a picture with his statue...

Can you really avoid sticking your finger in the nose of a chimp statue if you are 9 years old?
I think not.

Chad monkeying around...

At the zoo...the kids had gotten wet playing in some water.  We found this hurricane booth that blew 85 mile per hour winds.  We though it might be a good way for them to dry off.  Parker was dancing...silly boy!

Parker the Crocodile Hunter...

Hayden the Crocodile Hunter...

A real turtle just hanging out on the grounds of the Audubon Zoo...

On our ride home...my little Parker-man reading his book, passing the time on our journey home.

We really did have a wonderful time!  Thanks New Orleans!  See you soon!

No comments: