Monday, March 30, 2020

The Story of Cilla Mills



Back in 2008-2009, Chad and I had been talking about getting a dog. In our married life we had never owned a dog and this would be a big step so it needed to be the perfect dog. Is there such a thing?!?!? I think that is why we hesitated so long.



Every once in awhile I would check in the “Free” section of Craigslist looking for a dog. One day, I saw a picture of a dog in her kennel. The listing intrigued me because it said she was free along with all her belongings. I called and spoke to the step-mom of the owner. She told me her daughter had moved to an apartment and couldn’t take her dog and they couldn’t keep the dog so they were trying to find the dog a new home. She told me the dog weighed about 35 pounds, that she was kennel trained and that she never had accidents in the house. I asked if she was still available and the woman said she already had someone coming to look at her that afternoon but if that fell through then she would call me. Knowing I wanted a dog closer to 25 pounds, I said thank you but in my mind had decided that 35 pounds was too big of a dog.


Later that night I was talking to my dear friend, Melissa, and she apprehensively said with a little giggle “you’re never going to guess what I’ve done?!?!?!?” I said, “What?” She said, “There was this dog on Craigslist that Ashley and I were looking at and she was free and came with everything needed and we got her.”  Laughing I said, “That was my dog!!!! I was looking at her and had even called about her.” We both had a good laugh and I told her I had decided that she was just too big for our family anyways so I was happy that was going to be with them and would have a good home.


“Yellie ” got settled in her new home with Melissa and Shane. I remember seeing Yellie at their house and thinking I was glad we didn’t get her because she was SO big.

Yellie...2009

Fast forward a few months and Shane and Melissa felt like they weren’t able to be home with her as much as they needed to be and Melissa called and offered her to us. Ummmm...did we really want a dog? A big dog? This was a big decision but we decided we would give it a try.


Melissa came over with all Yellie’s stuff...a huge kennel, a big dog food holder, dog bowl, water bowl, toys, shampoos, leashes and brushes. Melissa gave her lots of love and told her she would still visit her and left. Yellie watched and whimpered from the window for probably an hour after Melissa drove away. She loved Melissa so much!  


We bonded with her quickly and we decided to change her name. Chad is a huge Elvis fan so she became Pricilla and we call her Cilla (Sill-uh). When we took Cilla to the vet for the first time we found out 35 pound Cilla was really about 60 pounds. Haha...no turning back!


For 11 years Cilla has been ours. She was meant to be ours when Melissa got her but God knew I would never have gotten her on my own. She truly is the perfect dog and is exactly the dog we needed. 

Melissa and Cilla still have a close bond and love each other so much.  I'm telling you there is just something special about this girl!  


Through the years, Cilla’s first owner, Anja Rourk, has also kept in touch with her, even visiting with her several times.

I reached out to Anja awhile back to find out about Cilla’s life with her. Cilla’s original name was Niisan (Nee San) and was very loved and well trained by Anja. 

Here is the story of Cilla’s first few years of life...

Cilla was conceived in Florida while her mom, Claudia, live there with her humans. They aren’t 100% sure but they believe Claudia got pregnant by the neighbors dog, a black pit bull.

 Cilla is the puppy at the bottom of the picture.

Isn't she adorable?  I nearly cried when I saw this picture.

At some point during pregnancy, Claudia’s humans moved back to Louisiana and Cilla and her siblings were born in Oil City. Anja said she remembered feeling the puppies moving inside of Claudia when they went to bed one night and when she woke up the next morning Claudia was gone. She found her underneath the house where she had 2 puppies and brought her inside to have the 3rd puppy. Sadly, Cilla’s 2 siblings were stolen at 6 weeks old.

Cilla's mom, Claudia, is pictured here in the foreground with Cilla close by.

Anja loved Niisan so much but the apartment would not allow animals and so she had no choice but to find her a good home.


Cilla is now 14 years old and she still as sweet as ever. She has slowed down quite a bit and sleeps a good bit of the day. Her hearing isn’t what it used to be and neither is her vision but the joy she brings is the same as when we first got her. In fact, she is the only teenager in our house who is excited to see us when we come home. That is true joy!


I wanted to write this because our girl is special. She has touched lives in the three families she has lived with. I’m thankful to be part of her story.

Cilla Brooke Mills died October 2, 2020.  She was loved by so many and will forever be in the hearts of those who loved her. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awwww, I loved reading Cilla's story! She's beautiful.