Saturday, July 03, 2010

Southern Baptist Convention...Orlando 2010

This was our second year going as a family to the Southern Baptist Convention.  We were excited last year to learn it would be in Orlando for 2010.  My wheels started turning about all the fun we could have-there are beaches, Disney and best of all...my brother and his family!  

We left on Friday, June 11 and headed to Pensacola.  We had heard the oil spill had already hit the beaches but we were pleased to find beautiful white sand beaches. 

We just went down to the beach to check it out and put our feet in before dinner but within minutes the kids were soaked so we just let them play.
 
Parker kept saying...I can taste the salt!
 

They loved running and jumping in the waves...
 
 We went back the next morning before our long ride to Orlando so we could take in more of the beach.  The kids spent a lot of time digging in the sand and letting the waves crash on them.  It was truly beautiful...
We drove to my brothers house in Winter Garden, near Orlando and got there that night.  I was so excited to see my brother and his family.  I hadn't seen my niece, Haley, in over a year and had never seen Ryker except for in pictures.  They are such sweet babies!
We headed to Scott & Bridget's church, First Baptist Orlando, on Sunday morning and it was a wonderful worship service.

Parker and Haley holding hands walking into church...so sweet!

After church we had a small birthday party for Ryker's first birthday.  It was just family and close family friends...

He REALLY got into his cake...
Unfortunately, not long after eating this he threw up green icing ALL OVER one of Scott & Bridget's friends.  Poor baby!

Sunday afternoon Chad and I left to go to a hotel closer to the Orange County Convention Center, where the Southern Baptist Convention would be held.  Sunday night and Monday is the Pastors' Conference where there is tons of great preaching and music.  Tuesday starts the convention where all of the business takes place.  I didn't take many pictures at the convention but I did take food pictures...HA!

One day for lunch we walked across the street to this restaurant...

The food was DELICIOUS!  I got a Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon & Mushrooms...

I also got a Lobster and Crab Burger with Truffle Fries...YUMMY!

On Tuesday, they had a Pastor's Wives Luncheon.  They go all out for our this and treat us like queens.  The girl sitting beside me is Lori.  Her and I became friends after we met at the hotel swimming pool at last years convention in Kentucky.  We have stayed in touch through FB and blogging and I'm so happy to have her as a friend.
 

I had to take a picture of the cute desserts they served us.  Teeny tiny little cups of key lime pie with teeny tiny little spoons.  So cute and fun...

Tuesday night Chad and I went back to my brother's house to stay the next two nights.  On Wednesday we went to Disney's Hollywood Studios and it was HOT!
We started out at the Muppet 3D Show...it was really cute!

Chad, Scott & the boys road the Star Wars ride and they liked it alot...

Mom & Scott waiting for Indiana Jones to start...

My little family...

The Indiana Jones show was so neat.  It was like you were watching a movie being made...

Parker was pretty grouchy that day.  He was tired the whole time we were there and mostly rode in a stroller...thank goodness for a brother with young ones.  Chad carried him on his shoulders a few times and I am a sucker for a kids on there Daddy's shoulders.

After lunch we went to the Lights, Motors, Action! show and it was amazing!  They run those cars around each other so fast but it is all choreographed.

During the show...


Scott's friend is a friend of the "Hero" driver so we got a backstage tour.

Parker sitting in the Hero car...

Uncle Scott...

The boys with the Hero driver.  He was super nice...showed us a bunch of stuff and answered a lot of questions.

The thing Scott was most excited for us to see...the parade.  He was disappointed because they didn't stop the parade like normal but we still enjoyed it very much.

We LOVE the Monsters, Inc. movie so we thought it was really neat to see the characters...


Thursday morning we left for SanDestin, FL.  We went swimming at the hotel pool that evening.

Boys before bed in our hotel...

The next morning we went down to the beach.  It was SO pretty.  The kids loved being there.


I thought Hayden was pretty innovative here...he dug out and area to sit in with a back area and head rest so he could let the waves rush up on him.

Great trip!  Next year:  Pheonix, AZ.  I just thought it was hot in Orlando!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww...looks like you and your family had a great time. I'm so glad that your family were able to have a nice vacation. You'll enjoy Arizona. It may be hot, but it's not as humid!!