Saturday, November 09, 2013

One Hundred Years Old Looks Pretty Good

My Great Aunt Ola is very special to me.  She is the last living sibling to my maternal grandfather, Poppa-John and looks a lot like him.  I loved my Poppa-John so much and I love Aunt Ola, too.

For years, she has had a birthday party each November.  Every birthday is special but, for a person who is closing in on their 100th birthday it's even more special.  We have been able to go to some of the birthday parties over the last several years but I knew I would definitely be attending her 100th birthday.  Afterall, it's not everyday you get to visit with someone who has lived 100 years. 

She is totally "with it" and a joy to be around.  After I took this picture, I asked her if she liked it and she said, "I like it very much."

Her sweet daughter-in-law and son put this party together and hosted it at their lake house on Saline Lake in Winnfield, Louisiana.  I rode with Jimmy, Mom and Sugie.  Me and my sweet Sugie...

One of the joys of coming to Aunt Ola's birthday parties is seeing relatives you wouldn't otherwise see...or even meet some that you've never met.  Julie, Misty and Ashley...all second cousins (I think...so confusing).  Their grandmother and my grandfather were siblings...so we share great grandparents.

I grew up knowing Ashley and Julie but never knew Misty existed...nor did she know about me.  We met for the first time yesterday.  Cousins are so much fun!

There were pictures of Aunt Ola up all around the house and I found this one of my Poppa-John, Sugie and my brother, Scott, so I snapped a picture of the picture.  This was probably in 1983 or so based on how old Scott looks.  The funny thing was that my mom said, "Are you sure that is not you, Angela?"  Sigh...Mom had my hair cut similar to Scott's in the Dorothy Hamill (the ice skating Olympian) cut.  I pointed out the football and she agreed it was Scott.  Haha!

Before we left, Sugie got a minute to visit with Aunt Ola.

Good times!

No comments: