Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Ecuador...Mission Possible!

I am a wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, aunt, niece, great aunt, cousin, granddaughter, daughter-in-law, pastor's wife, Cubbie's leader, office manager, washer of dishes and laundry, Sunday school member, missionary...Eeeek, HOLD.UP!  Go back one...did I just write missionary?  I think I did.  How did this happen?

Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples! Psalm 96:3

I didn't even know where Ecuador was located when I mentioned to Dr. Bailey that God was calling me to go on a mission trip.  He said, "Come, go to Ecuador with me!"  Ummm...okay.  I should probably figure out where that is.  Do you know?  Let me show you...


Right there on the west side of South America...to its north is Columbia, to the south is Peru and to the east is Brazil.

I have never in a million years contemplated Ecuador or any of the other countries mentioned above.  Isn't that only for adventurous people like those on the Amazing Race?


I'm not adventurous at all.  I did zip line once a few years ago but my most adventurous events now occur at Walmart.  Y'all it's scary in there!

My first hurdle in this adventure was to find out the dates of the trip.  Dr. Bailey had said it would be early August but he didn't have exact dates.  My prayer was that it would be AFTER the boys were in school.  I didn't want to put anyone in a bind to watch the boys during the day.  At the time, we didn't know when school was starting so it was a big question.  God, please let this be taken care of so I can go without worry.  Dr. Bailey shared the trip dates of August 10-18 and I knew it would be close to school starting.  That exact evening a teacher friend said, "They just put up dates for school to start."  She checked and it was August 9.  Okay, God I hear you.

He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation...Mark 16:15

I'm scared and excited all at the same time but I know God has called me to take this trip to Ecuador with Dr. Bailey and the team he is putting together. It is considered a medical missions trip and I could possibly be doing triage, working in the pharmacy, handing out reading glasses or working Vacation Bible School....or maybe a little bit of it all. Sharing God's love while we care for His people. We will be in the mountains of Ecuador and it will be cold-ish. What a welcome relief from the Louisiana August heat!



We will fly into Quito and stay at Camp Chacauco during our time in Ecuador.  Please start praying now for the team that will be going.

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Acts 1:8

1 comment:

Magical Dish Fairy said...

How exciting! Can't wait to hear more about it and see some pictures once you're back.