Monday, September 25, 2006

Where's the ham?

Chad's mom is in town visiting for a few days. Hayden was hungry and she asked him if he wanted a hamburger. He said yes (which I thought was strange because he normally doesn't eat hamburgers). She fixed him a beautiful hamburger with mayonnaise, cheese and lettuce on it. She cut it in half, put it on his plate and handed it to him. He looked at it kind of funny and she asked, "Is everything okay?" He said, "No, where is the ham?" I will always think about this everytime I think of a "ham"burger!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Word History: Because the world has eaten countless hamburgers, the origins of the name may be of interest to many. By the middle of the 19th century people in the port city of Hamburg, Germany, enjoyed a form of pounded beef called Hamburg steak. The large numbers of Germans who migrated to North America during this time probably brought the dish and its name along with them. The entr�e may have appeared on an American menu as early as 1836, although the first recorded use of Hamburg steak is not found until 1884. The variant form hamburger steak, using the German adjective Hamburger meaning “from Hamburg,” first appears in a Walla Walla, Washington, newspaper in 1889. By 1902 we find the first description of a Hamburg steak close to our conception of the hamburger, namely a recipe calling for ground beef mixed with onion and pepper. By then the hamburger was on its way, to be followedmuch laterby the shortened form burger, used in forming cheeseburger and the names of other variations on the basic burger, as well as on its own.

Regina said...

Gee, Michelle, that's so...interesting.
I think it's funny that he expects ham in a hamburger but not milk in chocolate milk!

Laura said...

Good point Regina! Michelle, why do you know that? And Angela, isn't if funny how kids interpret the words we use everyday as something different?!

Michelle said...

Don't be jeallous you all don't have my mad hamburger knowledge skills...Okay in my defense the answer is no, I don't know that kind of stuff off of the top of my head, but I did think it would be funny if I did a quick search and was able to copy and paste and I was, so there it is, it was me, the Shell you all have come to know, and now you know just a bit more. :)

Michelle said...

Angela! We need another funny story in here!