Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Nap Strike...

Parker is on a nap strike. The child has not taken a nap in weeks. I do everything like I have normally done but he gets up and plays with his toys, CD player and whatever else he can get his hands on. Even if I go back in and put him in his bed, he doesn't stay. I have tried spanking and that doesn't work. I heard that even if they don't take a nap, they should have a quiet time so I just leave him in his room. Today, I could hear him (through the baby monitor) doing something but couldn't tell what and I went to check on him only to find:

He was standing on his Little Tikes tool bench, had that hat on his head (to keep his dreadlocks out of his face, I guess) with lotion all over his face, window, blinds and pillow. He also had taken all of the trash can liners for his diaper pail and unrolled them all over his bed. I didn't know exactly what to do so I took a few pictures (like any good blogging mom would do), cleaned everything up, spanked him and put him into bed. I can hear him now messing with his CD player...little booger.
What should I do about this naptime thing? He is sooooo tired at the end of the day that he has been going to bed between 6:45 and 7pm. While that is nice, I would like for him to nap, he is too young to do away with naps. Any advice?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I really have nothing to say...which is not what you wanted me to say, but...I don't know how to deal with this sort of thing, I guess I could tell you to continue with the so called quiet time thing in his room, and just suck up the fact that he's not getting a nap like you would want him to. I say one hour in his room is sufficient. I remember Alli doing this at about his age and eventually she just started falling asleep again. So, I guess thats it, I'm sorry :(

Candy said...

He looks so cute in those pictures! Those eyes and that look on his face-very cute!
I say let him "rest" for an hour and then go to bed super early. But, what do I know because Ethan has never really taken a nap for me.

Laura said...

I definately agree with the others - keep the "quiet" time going. I know with Dalton, I started telling him that he needs to take a rest (instead of a nap), and for awhile that worked. Of course, he has gotten a little smarter over time & he now tells me he doesn't want to rest. But, he still knows that he has to have a quiet time in his room. We try to just set limits on what he can do - such as, keep one specific toy in his bed, but he can't get out of bed. You really can't fight them if they don't want to sleep, though :(

Regina said...

I think most kids go through a rebellion at nap time when they're 2. I NEED my kids to take naps, so I kept up the routine even if they didn't end up actually falling asleep. Eventually they start napping again, which is quite nice.