Saturday, October 14, 2006

Home Depot Kids Workshop


Today Hayden, Parker and I went to Home Depot for their Kids Workshop. Laura wrote about it on her blog and said Dalton always enjoyed it so we went to check it out.

When we first got to Home Depot, we signed in and they gave Hayden and Parker their very own Home Depot apron and a kit of wood, nails and instructions for how to put together a firetruck bank. There were hammers out on the table so we (me) started putting the bank together. I don't know if it is the control freak in me or if subconsciously I realized that I could have been knocked out by Hayden swinging the hammer but I did most of it by myself. The paperwork said it is really best for kids 6 years old and up and I see why. Hayden did hand me nails and put the wheels on so that was good enough for him.

This is also fire safety month so the firetrucks and ambulance were out there and the kids got to go in the firetruck. The firemen grilled hot dogs and had juice for the kids.

This really is a fun thing to do (and it's FREE). They do it once a month and I highly recommend it. If you do get to go, here are some suggestions...

1. Send the dad. He is probably more mechanical than you.
2. Don't take the younger kid...poor Parker just sat in his stroller eating Cheetos (thanks the Lord for having those in his diaper bag)
3. Bring your patience and maybe some protective eye wear in case you are brave enough to let your child swing the hammer.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Angela, your truck looks so nice, and I'm being serious, no crooked nails or anything, they should have used Haydens as the model. Alli at this moment is painting hers, we had to do something to cover up the bent nails. Oops:z

Anonymous said...

i loved your pictures. good thing you were prepared with your camera, unlike others we know. :)
i really admire those who keep their cameras handy for those special times that seem to pop up.
i think i'll try to make the next home depot kid saturday.
oh, if only i was a healthy girl and got my regular dose of blogging, i might have known about the fire truck project. i've gotta get my blog on.

Laura said...

That is a great picture of you and Hayden! I am so glad that you came and had fun. I just saw the pictures on Michelle's blog also (thanks for taking those by the way!). I have posted some of the pictures that my sister took for me on my blog. Thanks again for coming & I will let you know when the next one is (usually the 1st Saturday of every month).