Wednesday, August 06, 2008

CVSing and Couponing (yeah, they're verbs now)

So, I'm going to share with you my newest hobby...couponing and shopping at CVS. I know what you are thinking...she is a boring girl if this is what she finds fun. I promise I'm not boring (okay, maybe I am a little)! Don't laugh at me (Shell)!

I have always loved saving money and have used coupons for many years. While trying to get our budget under control and reading lots of money saving blogs I found girls who shop at CVS and get LOTS of stuff for free/cheap and also people who use coupons like crazy at other stores (grocery, Walmart, Target) and get TONS of stuff for free or pennies.

These bloggers believe, instead of buying things as you need it (and paying full price), you buy it when you can get it on sale and stock up. I have a very small stockpile (since I have only been doing this for a short time) but it includes tampons, 4 bottles of dishwashing liquid, 4 tubes of toothpaste, 2 stick of deoderant, 3 packages of Cascade gel packs for the dishwasher, 3 bottles of Lysol antibacterial spray and a few other things. When my friends came over a few weeks ago I was showing off my stockpile and they just thought I was crazy. When I called Michelle, one of the friends who thought I was crazy, and told her what all I got today for 99 cents. She said, "Okay, put this on your blog and tell me how to do it!" So here I go...

I got these two toothpastes and two toothbrushes for 43 cents at CVS.

Then in a second transaction I got two more other toothpastes, Always pads, Scott tissue and more dishwashing liquid for 56 cents, again at CVS.
Basically I got all of this from using Extra Care Bucks that I earned with my last transaction at CVS (they print off at the bottom of the receipt) and coupons (that my sweet older ladies from church save for me).

If you are REALLY interested in learning the ropes at CVS (it is a bit confusing at first)...you can go read this Beginners Guide to CVSing.

I'm also catching deals at other places...I have seemed to just luck up on a lot of good deals recently at grocery stores. The Cascade Gel Packs that I mentioned were marked down to $2 and I remembered having coupons for that. I ended up getting them for $1 a package. Now, instead of having to run out and get whatever is in the store when I run out of my current dishwashing powder I now have 60 gel packs waiting on me in my stockpile. A few weeks ago Bounty was on sale at a local grocery store for 89 cents. I had two $1 off coupons and purchased two Bounty paper towel rolls. Do you know they ended up paying me 7 cents after I gave them my coupons? That has NEVER happened before.

Now that I'm getting me a little stockpile going I'm starting to give to my church so it is benefiting everyone. Really, how many toothpastes can you use? Besides, they'll be on sale again :). Tomorrow I'm taking two tubes of toothpastes, the pads and shampoo/conditioner to my church. I know whoever receives that will be thankful and really all it cost me was a little time and organization.

If you are interested in more blogs where there are people even crazier than me (just joking...seem like really nice people) then you can check out...

http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/
http://carlie-whyaskwhy.blogspot.com/
http://www.dealseekingmom.com/
http://www.kingdomfirstmom.com/
http://couponcravings.com/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Okay, now you can laugh at me...

8 comments:

canscrap4u2 said...

You might need some therapy...I see a compulsion going on here...

Ericka said...

Whats funny is that I always go online and look for coupons/discounts when looking for large items but now that life has thrown me a curve, I, like you have a tight budget. Im hooked. Thanks for the links. Cant wait to see what I can make of my own stockpile...lol

destiny said...

This is what i do....buy something that I don't really need or hardly ever use and FORGET to use the coupon! I even bought a coupon organizer! That didn't last long!
Maybe I need to try again!

Autumn said...

wow this is serious! just remember angela no matter how bad it gets we will be here for you. Just kidding pretty impressive!

Michelle said...

Okay, my turn: I was seriously impressed, the other week when you called me and told me you saved $38 at Walmart, I thought okay good deal, but when you called and listed off everything above I couldn't believe you got ALL of it for under a dollar, I kept thinking you meant that you got each thing for $1 which would have been just a deal, but c'mon girls...this is pretty impressive! I myself may not do it, only because it seems a little time consuming and time I do not have just yet but I will check out the "CVSing" blog just because CVS is right up the road from us so why not! Kudos to you Angela!!

Jen said...

I admire you Angela, I keep thinking it would be alot of hassle, but I know a couple of people that do this as well and insist it's not. Good for you girl!

Leigh Ann said...

I am totally NOT laughing, just very impressed! I am definitely going to check into this. It is amazing on what a little prep work can get you. Way to go, Angela, and thanks for sharing with the rest of us. :)

Laura said...

I never knew what you were supposed to do with the CVS Extra Care Bucks or whatever they are called. I have the CVS card, but just thought you got discounted pricing, like at Brookshires. I'll have to look into that more :)