Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Chores...

Hi everyone! I just got back from the most AMAZING vacation. I have lots of photos to show but I'm still trying to get all of that organized (and get myself back to reality) so it may be next week before I get photos on here. In the meantime, I am starting to work on chores for the boys and have a few questions. Some info you should know...

Daily chores for each kid:

Parker (3 years old)...
  • empty bathroom trash cans
  • put dirty clothes in hamper
  • hang up towels after bath
  • put away clean laundry (not hang-ups)
  • clean out sink after brushing teeth
  • take plate to sink after eating
  • pickup toys after playing
Hayden (5 1/2 years old)
  • make bed
  • empty silverware tray from dishwasher
  • put dirty clothes in hamper
  • hang up towels after bath
  • put away clean laundry (not hang-ups)
  • clean out sink after brushing teeth
  • take plate to sink after eating
  • pickup toys after playing
Weekly chores...vacuum room (they love to do this) and dust (making it fun with a feather duster)

Now for the questions...

1. Anything you can think of that is missing?
2. How do you feel about an allowance for chores?
3. On the other side of the allowance, what is an appropriate penalty for NOT doing a chore (or two)?

Thanks in advance for your help...I need it. After my vacation I realized that I'm doing too much work. If I want to raise responsible young men (and good husbands :)) it is important that they do something around the house. I'm just going to have to get over the fact that it won't be perfect and will restrain myself from going back to re-do there chores.

I would love to hear how things are working in your home!

11 comments:

Candy said...

Glad you are back! Can't wait to see those pictures.
I love the chores idea! I found a great site that you can enter chores into and the days of the week. I print out a month at a time and hang the current one in Ethan's room. At the end of the day, he puts a sticker on what he did. I think we wanted to pay him like $1.50 or 2.00 a week so it figures up to be like .10 a chore or something. I let Tim do the figuring. :) Anyway, he doesn't get paid for the chores he doesn't do. He doesn't have a many chores as you listed, but he is not home all day right now. Good idea for this summer though. :) I need to add some things. Just get them excited about helping and make it seem fun. Keep us updated. :) I'll find the link to that chore chart to print and let you know it if you are interested.

Leigh Ann said...

Welcome back! I hope you had a fantastic time. I'll be looking forward to the pictures. What a great mom you are to be thinking about raising them to be "good husbands." I know their wives will appreciate that!

Michelle said...

Hmmm...chores, well, my kids don't have any but only because I've given them a way out by telling myself that it is faster if I just do them all, which it is, but them having their own would be nice as well, I just haven't taken that step. If they have trashed the house in a crazy way I do use coins as an incentive to get them to pick things up rather quickly. I've been wanting to make a fun "store" kind of thing for awhile now something they can get tickets or bucks for (play money) and buy from the store here at the house at the end of each week or after saving up for awhile, it's up to them. I just haven't done it yet. I mean with all the dollar stores and Targets dollar bins you could have quite a store for them to shop at you know :)

Betty said...

Angela I am so glad that you are back, I was thinking of you most of the week can't wait for the pictures and comments.
Regarding chores. I really don't remember having any until I was 7 or 8 years old. I always wanted to help my mom with dishes and cooking and I did it but a chore as a responsability was when I was older and I didn't get pay they just give me every Sunday a few amount that allow me to go to the movies or do something fun with it nothing expansive of course).

My parents believe that a chore is a help for our home not a job that you have to get pay for it.
Delany help me around the house but I will start calling a chores when she actually will be able to do it right and be more aware of what she is doing. Right now what she does is clean her toys, dress herlself and do me favores as bringing things to me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela,
I'm glad that ya'll are back from your cruise. I bet it was awesome. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Chores! Shane did not get paid for chores. We believe chores are a responsibility as a member of the family. Everybody does their share. He did get an allowance on payday. For not doing his chores, he got things taken away from him for a short time. But, he was always aware of the consequences before he chose NOT to do them. I love that you are introducing the chores to the boys at an early age to help them become responsible adults.

Autumn said...

that seems like a pretty good chore list. I will have my kids strip there bads when it is time to change the sheets (they love to do that)! I will also have them sweep the porch. We use a reward system instead of money they get play money for completing chores and they can buy treats or fun outings with it. glad your home can't wait to see the pics!

Julie said...

SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO READ AND SEE PICTURES!!!

Although I do not have children I do have thoughts on chores. I think they should learn to do chores and I think they should receive an allowance. Getting an allowance would begin to teach them financial responsibility and you could incorporate tithing.

The Hickmans said...

Zayde is not at that age yet, but I have been reading up on it. There is a book: Creative Correction, that you MUST get. It is by a Christian author, totally bibically based, quotes scripture left and right, and addresses EVERYTHING- discipline, allowance, chores, prayer, obedience, sibbling conflict, respect, and so, so, so, so much more! It will give you many awesome ideas about chores, allowance, etc. Let me know if you read it and what you think...

Jen said...

Welcome home Angela! Can't wait to hear/read all about your trip. I'm sure it was amazing!

Good for you for starting this. These lists are almost indentical to my boy's lists. Well Jonathan takes out the trash (and gathers it all around the house) in addition. I do not give allowance, but I give them stickers on a reward chart. If they get so many stickers, they get treats/fun outings/toys/etc...within reason for the amount of stickers. This is funny though, Nate just mentioned to me that we start incorporating allowance, mainly for the reason someone else mentioned here...to incorporate tithing and teaching the importance of it. We have a divided piggy bank that's perfect for it...we already use it for gift money, etc.

Sorry for the long reply!

Regina said...

Everyone's pretty much said what I was going to say! Our chore list is pretty much the same. They also set the table at meals, the stuff they can reach. And Sean helps wash dishes after supper. They also feed the pets, but you don't have any!

Welcome back to the "real world"!

Laura said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this, because about a week or two ago, Dalton all of a sudden started talking about doing chores. One day, out of the blue, he wanted to help cook supper, so I let him and then he wanted to fix everyone's plates and drinks, so I let him help. I had ordered two "reward charts" from my niece who was selling random stuff for school last year, so I pulled them both out and stuck them to the fridge for Dalton & Kaylee. He gets a sticker everytime he completes a chore, but we really haven't followed it very closely. I have just been motivated after reading this!! My reward chart has a spot for 6 things to do & includes every day of the week. My plan is to give them a treat or fun outing for however many stickers, but I haven't really worked all of that out yet. Keep us updated on how it turns out for you & the boys!!