Ugh! Is this affecting anyone else's budget or is it just ours? I cannot believe that gas prices are nearing $4 a gallon. It is costing me right at $60 to fill up my Dodge Caravan and I am getting right around 20 miles to the gallon and I get around 315 miles per tank. Ugh again...I can't think of anything more expressive to say than that, sorry.I was reminding my in-laws that when I was in college, probably around 1997 or 1998 (yes, I know that was 10 years ago), that gas was right at a $1.00 per gallon. It would have cost me only $15 to fill up my gas tank back then...wow!
Not only is it affecting what we pay at the pump but also what we pay for things in general. I am a very cost conscious shopper and notice the prices of everything I buy going up.
Here are some things we are trying to do to save some money (and some other ideas I found online):
*Price match at Walmart...did you know that Walmart will let you bring in other stores ads and will match the price? Overall, I do believe Walmart has the best prices and when you price match on top, things are even cheaper. Last time I went shopping I price matched a ton of things like eggs, tortillas, peanut butter, milk and MORE!
*Combine trips to town...okay so some of you might live right in the middle of town and this may not be a big deal but for me it is 20 miles just to get to the nearest big town and then 20 miles back so that is nearly $8 in gas just to get where I'm going. This doesn't even take into account the 10 or so miles I may driving getting from point A to B.
*Turn off the car AC and use the vent whenever possible. This is becoming harder and harder to do with the Louisiana heat, especially with my kids in the car but when it is cooler outside (like early morning) I will just use the vent.
*3 cents off gas...did you know if you purchase a gift card at Walmart you can get 3 cents off the price of gas at the gas station in front of Walmart? I know, I know...what is 3 cents when gas is nearly $4 a gallon? It adds up!
*Don't carry around a bunch of extra stuff in your car that could weight it down. I know as mom's we carry around all kinds of stuff for emergencies...blankets for when it is cold, extra clothing, and array of strollers. Figure out what is truly necessary to keep in your car.
*Pay attention to the different octanes at the pump...the other day I was at a different gas station than I normally use. Typically the lower octane gas is on the left or right. Would you believe the lower octane gas at this Texaco was in the middle? I'm so thankful I was paying attention or I would have probably put a more expensive gas in my car than needed.
*Fill-it if you've got the money...are we the only ones that will put in $10-$15 here and there (laughable right...won't get very far with that, huh?)? It is better to go ahead and put as much gas as your pocket book will allow. If you have to stop multiple times to get gas you are wasting more of your gas by pulling to the gas station and sitting in line to get gas.
Let me know if you have any other ideas. I'm off to get the blankets out of my van :).
9 comments:
I know. Gas prices are TERRIBLE! Thanks for all the tips. If you shop at our Kroger, they will give you 10 cents off a gallon. It does add up!
10 cents off a gallon? WOW! That is an awesome deal. Our Krogers don't have gas stations.
Oh, you're the lady at Wal Mart that I get behind when I'm in a hurry...LOL
I am LOVING this link thing on the side. Now, I just come to your blog to see who has updated instead of clicking on each one. :) I'll have to redo my blog, so I can add this. :)
what thingy link?
Kelly, Look to the right of this post. Where it says "Blogs I like to visit..." I added all the blogs I like to visit. When a blog has been updated it moves it to the top of my list and shows the blog title and how long ago it was posted.
The only bad thing about it is that I can't list my private blogs (you, Autumn, Candy, Destiny, etc). To do it go to your dashboard and scroll down. There is a tutorial on how to do it.
I am feeling the gas prices now! At the beginning I didn't so much but this month we have already spent more than half of our gas budget amount early in the month!! Thanks for the tips. I'll try the vent idea in the car.
Funny pic, where did you find that? I love all of your ideas, I can't believe you have that many...okay, I can believe it :)
Not only does it go up but the food prices go up 30 cents on one item!
Post a Comment