Monday, June 02, 2008

Time stood still...

even if it was just for 5 hours. Don't you just love grandparents? What is it about being at a grandparents house that makes time stand still? Is it the fact that their television doesn't have to be on all the time? Is because their cell phone doesn't ring right in the middle of a meaningful conversation?. Maybe it is because instead of wanting to search the internet, grandparents would rather talk to their grandchildren and find out about how they think and feel about things. Whatever the reason...I have always loved being with my grandma. I love visiting with her and enjoying her slower pace.

The kids have been begging to see my grandmother, who I, oh so affectionately refer to as Sugie (pronounced Shoogie). They kept saying "we haven't been to Sugie's house in a long time" and "when are we going to see Sugie" so I knew I wanted to take them soon. We have seen her recently but not really got to visit with her like we can when we are at her house.

When we first got to Sugie's house we set up the slip-n-slide. One of the other grandma's, Nannie, bought this for the boys but this was the first time we got to play on it.
The kids never did do the Slip-n-Slide like they were supposed to. You know, you are supposed to run and then slide on your stomach but don't we spend all our lives trying not to fall and hit our faces just when we are walking? I can see where this could be confusing for my guys and think I probably had the same overly-cautious thoughts as a child, too. So, Hayden opted to just run and fall to his knees...
...and then Parker just pretty much drank the water. Oh well, he was having a great time!After water time, we went in and ate lunch (porkloin, purple hull peas, fresh squash and cornbread) and it was was better than any restaurant, I promise! After lunch we went back outside for a little more water time and then we just sat outside under a big tree and just talked.I snapped this photo of Sugie with the boys. Hayden was spoon-drinking Koolaid (see it down his shirt) and Parker was looking a puppy that came up from the neighbors yard. Unfortunately, that puppy (big puppy) would later think that Parker wanted to play and would jump all over Parker with his big claws and scratch his chest and arms up. I was there to rescue him pretty quickly but it still scared poor Parker.I absolutely love this photo! It took four tries to get Parker to look at the camera but once he did he gave a really cute smile. It is so sweet to my grandma with my kids. It reminds me of all the sweet things she did with me as a child.

If your lucky enough to still have your grandparents alive, I encourage you to visit them. Life is short and I'm so thankful for my time today with my Sugie.

9 comments:

Candy said...

You know that Sugie holds a special place in my heart just because of where she lives! :) You are SO blessed to have her Angela and to have her in your kid's lives. That meal sounds WONDERFUL!! I wanna go with you next time, just to eat. :) My grandmother who has been in the nursing home since Ethan was little would have cooked that same meal! I miss it SO much. Our family just doesn't get together like we used to when she lived at home. I loved this post if you couldn't tell!! :) Thanks for sharing. Those pictures are just the most precious thing ever!!

destiny said...

Awww, that is so refreshing just to read. I LOVE being around my grandmothers. Something about it is just so comforting.

Sharron said...

You are SUPER blessed to still have your grandmother. I am happy for you that you were able to spend time with her.

Betty said...

you make me miss my grandparents 4 of them passway long time ago. But as you said life is short and my parents and me got to spent a lot of time with them while they were a live.
You are such a great person Angela, god bless you!

Leigh Ann said...

What a sweet post. Your boys are adorable, and I think Parker looks so much like you. Thanks for the reminder to visit grandparents. You are right...life is short. I need to make more time to visit.

Ashlie said...

Awww, this makes me want to go see my Granna so bad! She lives in Tennessee and we don't get up there near enough! Whenever I talk to her, she always ends the conversation with, "Never forget that Granna loves you!" Makes me tear up every time! Thanks for this post!

The Hickmans said...

What a sweet post! I am fortunate to have all 4 grandparents still living. I need to visit them more often.

Jen said...

I miss my grandparents SO much! I only have one grandfather (my mom's dad who is still a minister) left and this post is reminder for me to take the time and go see him. Your grandmother sounds like mine...she would've cooked something for us very similar. :) Thanks for sharing such a sweet post Angela.

Michelle said...

Good times, good times...Landon didn't want to fall on his belly either and did the same run and slide on his knees thing...Alli however was like a professional baseball player, I'll be surprised if she ever gets anyone to date her because of all the scars :) This looked like a really great time for you all!