Friday, February 29, 2008

Hayden's school

Hayden will start kindergarten in the fall at Oil City Elementary School (couldn't do that before going private). This morning I went to the school for a tour. I had an hour long tour of the school and I am IMPRESSED! The school was going to be shut down just a few years ago but then, with community support, the school took a new environmental approach...hands on, outdoor learning to teach math, language arts and more.

Everyone was so nice. I was able to meet all three kindergarten teachers and know that God will place him with just the right teacher...they all seemed great! I was able to tour the campus including the outside classrooms, regular classrooms, the greenhouses, butterfly garden (that should be busy soon), the garden area (where Hayden will play a role in growing herbs and veggies) and more.

Here are some articles on the school:

http://www.learnoutside.org/oilcityelementary.html

http://65.109.144.97/Science&Children_April%202007.pdf

We are really excited about the upcoming school year. Funny, huh? Most of you moms are just ready for this year to be over with.

6 comments:

Betty said...

So nice that they gave you a turn. TLRhodes wont do that for me until summer vacation and I really want to see the teachers working with the kids.
It looks like a good school. How excited!

Candy said...

It sounds like a really good school! I know Hayden will enjoy it. I can't wait to hear your school stories next year. :)

Jen said...

Sounds like a great school. This post is bittersweet for me since my baby will be going off to K next year!

Jennifer said...

It is hard to believe that Hayden is already going to Kindergarten I get so sad when I think about that because Allie will be starting this year also!

destiny said...

You are going to enjoy Hayden being in school! (I know its sad at first) Kindergarten is so much fun!! I loved helping out with parties and treat bags....You would be a great room-mom!

Laura said...

Hey, that sounds like a great school! I will have to check out the websites you posted when I have a little more time on the computer!