Thursday, March 20, 2008

Priceless gift...

I have been saving special baby clothes of the boys since they were born. I stopped around 1 or 1 and a half knowing that I wanted to have a special quilt made for each boy out of these baby clothes. I spoke with a lady at our old church about a year ago, knowing that she quilted, and asked her if she or anyone she knew might want to take on this project. We talked back and forth about it for months and finally she said she would do it.

I have two of the most beautiful quilts now, one for each boy. Parker's quilt...
A better view of Parker's quilt. A few things you might can pick out...his Bush-Cheney, Wee-Publican and Little Cowboys Fan bibs, the curtain that hung in his room with the elephant on it (I got it when I was 9 weeks pregnant on a cruise to Mexico), the burp cloth that says "Parker" on it (my friend Michelle made that) and lots of other pieces of clothing that make me remember him being a baby!She also put these on the back of the quilts. The verse is so sweet and special...Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Hayden's quilt...

Hayden's quilt. Some special memories for me...his "I'm a Big Brother" shirt (I took photos of him in this shirt to tell our family I was pregnant with Parker), the outfit he wore when, at 5 weeks old, President Bush came to Shreveport to speak and we got to be on stage behind the president, and the outfit he wore his first Easter with his name embroidered on it.
This and Hayden's baby blanket are attached to the back of this quilt.

This was a LONG process...let me tell you what she did. If you quilt, I'm sorry, I'm about to butcher the quilter's language. She took each outfit and cut it apart at the seams, keeping everything together right down to the tag that says "6-9 months", she ironed something on the back of each outfit and then cut squares out of the clothing. I have no idea what she did after that but it was TEDIOUS! When it says LOVINGLY MADE Ms. Jackie really means it. I just hold the quilt and can feel the love.

I hope that my family treasures these for years to come!

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness!!! Do not envy? Sorry I'm envious right now! I love these quilts and I so want my children to have one each of their own, but who wants to do this for three children. They look huge so maybe I can convice my mother in law to do this for me, a smaller version. I love how you incorporated the curtain into Parkers, how neat is that for you to think of using that material and the burp cloth (I'm blotting my eyes right now) You will never forget me know, my little Oil City friend! Love these!!!

Michelle said...

{now}

destiny said...

That is so special! I love that idea. My grandmother made me a throw out of my old t-shirts.

Jen said...

This is such a special, priceless heirloom Angela...she did such a great job! I gotta say...love the "Weepublican"...wish we would've had a shirt like that for my boys. So suiting. :)

Candy said...

OH MY GOSH, Angela! I have never heard of this being done. I love the idea!! This is so special!

Ashlie said...

How wonderful! That is the sweetest thing I've seen in a long time! Don't you just love Ms. Jackie? She was my 5th grade Sunday School teacher and I have loved her ever since. Such a sweet, sweet woman! The quilts are absolutely priceless!

Leigh Ann said...

I am so going to have to steal this idea. That is just precious and I know your boys and their wives and children will love them, too. What a great idea!

Laura said...

Those are awesome! I'm sure they did take alot of work, but Mrs. Jackie did an awesome job!! That is probably one of the best heirlooms I've seen.

Sharron said...

Mrs. Jackie is very talented. Those are memories that the boys will have to pass down to their children. What a wonderful idea.

Regina said...

I love those! I started thinking I could make something similar, then...duh, I'd better keep their clothes around for any future babies. And who am I kidding, I wouldn't have the time. Such a neat idea!

Regina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Hickmans said...

That is the sweetest thing! You have so inspired me to copy your idea! :)

Dipboye Family said...

Love the quilts!!! They came out great! I need her number!